Created by: Julia Mueller, The Roasted Root
Fruit salad is one of my favorite summer side dishes. Melon, berries, pineapple, grapes, peaches, oranges, mango, banana, kiwi – I love picking up farm-fresh fruit to prepare a mouth-watering concoction that I can share with friends and family at picnics or barbecues.
While I don’t have a preference on fruit, I have some pretty specific criteria when it comes to the “dressing.” Growing up, my mom would make fruit salad with homemade whipped cream and a bit of mayonnaise. While most of my family went crazy over it, I just couldn’t bring myself to touch it on account of the mayo.
Now that I make my own fruit salads, I have the dish down to a system. Because I try to avoid dairy and refined sugar, I prepare a homemade whipped cream using coconut cream and pure maple syrup (or honey). The result is creamy, sweet, and brings together any type of fruit salad into a delicious flavor meld.
For this fruit salad, I went with an apple-cinnamon-walnut theme with grapes, making for a super flavorful and unique fruit salad.
You can use any type of apples, but I love the tartness of the Granny Smith alongside the sweetness of the Pink Lady. The grapes add juicy natural sweetness and a pop of texture. While I used green grapes, you can use any type of grape as well. Just be sure to apply the whipped cream liberally for a healthful and tasty treat.
- 1 Granny Smith Apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 Pink Lady apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1½ cups green grapes, halved
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup raw walnuts, chopped
- 1 (14-oz.) can Kroger full-fat coconut milk
- 3 Tbsp. pure maple syrup or maple cream
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Pinch sea salt
- Place the can of coconut milk in the refrigerator, and refrigerate overnight. This allows the coconut water to separate from the coconut cream.
- Open the can of coconut milk and scoop out the hardened cream (or “flesh”), leaving behind the coconut water. Add the coconut cream to a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, along with the pure maple syrup, vanilla extract, and pinch of sea salt. Beat on medium-high until well-combined and fluffy– this process only takes 30 seconds or so. Taste the whipped cream for flavor and add more pure maple syrup if desired. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Prepare the Maple Coconut Whipped Cream:
- Add all of the ingredients for the fruit salad to a mixing bowl. Add desired amount of coconut whipped cream and toss together until everything is well-coated. Serve alongside your favorite entrée.
Prepare the Fruit Salad: