Created by: Nicole Leggio, Cooking for Keeps
Even the most dedicated sports fan would agree that food is one of the most exciting aspects of the big game.
Yes, there’s the halftime show, two teams going head to head and bets that are made, but indulging in some great food is pretty exciting stuff in and of itself.
Of course, you have your traditional wings, meatballs and cocktail hot dogs, but the party isn’t complete for me without some sort of creamy, cheesy, meaty dip that I can repeatedly dunk my chips into. Your typical queso just isn’t going to cut it. Enter cheeseburger dip – a hybrid of a simple cheeseburger with all the classic toppings and a creamy cheese dip.
I like to keep things pretty simple when I'm making burgers, but I always add just a little onion, Worcestershire sauce and salt to ensure plenty of flavor, especially when I'm using a more lean ground beef. The ground beef and onion is browned up in a nonstick skillet to start, then I hit it with a couple splashes of Worcestershire sauce for the base of the dip. I combine it with briny chopped dill pickles – because I believe no cheeseburger is complete without a little pickle action – softened cream cheese and plenty of shredded cheddar cheese. When the cream cheese and shredded cheese disappear into the beef, pickles and onion, it’s ready to be baked.
Transfer the dip to a small casserole dish, cover it with more shredded cheese, then pop it into the oven until the dip is bubbly and hot and the cheese is melted. Top it with classic burger toppings – chopped lettuce, diced tomato and plenty of sliced green onion – as soon as it comes out of the oven.
All that’s left is to get dipping!
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- ½ cup onion
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp. water
- ½ cup dill pickles, chopped
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Tortilla chips for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Lightly grease a 1-quart casserole dish.
- Cook the ground beef and onion over medium heat in a medium nonstick skillet until the beef is browned and cooked through. Add the Worcestershire sauce, water, pickles and cream cheese. Stir until combined. Remove from the heat and add one cup of cheddar cheese. Stir again until combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the dip to the baking dish and cover it with the remaining cheese. Bake for 5-7 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Top with the chopped lettuce, tomatoes and green onions. Serve with chips.