Created by: Carrie Robinson, Frugal Foodie Mama
When it comes to entertaining and hosting a crowd during the holiday season, my slow cooker becomes my best friend. I can start one dish in my trusty slow cooker while I work on other dishes on my stovetop and in the oven.
It's almost like having an extra set of hands in the kitchen. Often I make the main dish in my slow cooker like I did with this Cherry Allspice Glazed Slow Cooker Ham. The glaze itself comes together easily in just minutes, making the prep for this flavorful and juicy ham almost effortless.
Other than using my slow cooker, I have found a few other tips and tricks over the years that make feeding a crowd easier and practically stress-free:
- Offer self-serve dishes like this ham. Just add crackers, bread, cheeses and a few condiments for a DIY ham and cheese bar.
- Serve dishes that are delicious no matter what temperature they are served at – warm, cold or at room temperature. This ham is flavorful and perfect cold or hot – I speak from personal experience here.
- Don't be afraid to ask each guest to bring a dish or beverage. Be sure to provide the main dish and all the dining essentials – plates, cups, napkins, utensils – and let your dinner guests help flesh out the rest of the menu.
- Get as much prep done ahead of time as you can. Look over your menu and see what can easily be prepped the day before or the morning of the dinner party. Lots of prep ahead of time means less work when guests start to arrive and more time for you to socialize.
- I always love sending my dinner guests home with leftovers, but hate giving up my reusable containers to do so. I ask my guests to bring some of their own food containers with them so they can still enjoy the dinner party the next day. All of my guests have been more than happy to oblige because they get to bring home tasty leftovers and they don't have to worry about returning a container to me later on.
- 3-4 lbs. Fully Cooked Boneless Sliced Cumberland Gap Ham
- ½ cup Private Selection™ Red Tart Michigan Cherry All Natural Preserves
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 3 pieces Private Selection™ Whole Allspice
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- In a small saucepan, combine the cherry preserves, balsamic vinegar, whole allspice and brown sugar. Heat over medium heat and bring to a slow boil. Remove from heat.
- Place the ham in the slow cooker. Pour the cherry allspice glaze over the top. Cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- Transfer to a serving platter and spoon some of the glaze and cherries over the top. Serve and enjoy!