Toss a few ingredients in while your rice is cooking to infuse it with the full flavor of fresh ingredients.
- 2 cups chicken broth or water
- ½ white onion cut in chunks
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 ripe Roma or Saladette tomato or 1/4 cup of tomato puré
- 1 Tbsp. Salt
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 carrot, chopped
- ¼ cup frozen peas
- 1 Serrano chile
- Blend the chicken broth, onion, garlic and tomatoes. Using a strainer, strain and set aside.
- Using a caldero, add the oil and heat over a medium flame. Add the rice. Stir for 3 minutes or until the rice grain is white on the inside and transparent on the outside. Add the chicken broth mixture to the rice. Add salt.
- Bring to a boil and add the carrots, peas, and whole serrano chile (or any chile you like). Cover and place on low heat. Continue cooking for an additional 20 to 25 minutes or until the liquid evaporates. Do not uncover the rice for at least 15 minutes or it will not cook properly.