Created by: Cathy Pollack, Noble Pig
Cupcakes are not just for children (grownups love them too!), especially when they're soft, sweet and full of flavor. While cake mix versions are convenient, adults are often looking for something with a little more complexity, originality, substance and charm. However, I will say even the older crowd loves a really good frosting.
These Coconut Overload Cupcakes will most definitely be the perfect ending to your springtime get-together or Easter feast. After one bite, coconut fans might have a hard time sharing. This recipe is loaded with coconut flavor and has a nice texture and crumb. Coconut milk, coconut extract, coconut rum and shredded coconut make this an over-the-top coconut lover's dream.
Baking from scratch does take a little more time, but the results are so worth the effort. The looks on everyone's face will be priceless when they take their first bite of these light and airy cupcakes. It's hard to imagine anything else tasting so good.
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. table salt
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- ½ cup lite coconut milk
- ¼ cup coconut rum
- 2 tsp. coconut extract
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sweetened, shredded coconut, plus more to top the cupcakes
- Colorful candy for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Prepare a regular-sized muffin tin by lining it with cupcake papers.
- In a small bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a pourable measuring cup, combine egg whites, coconut milk, coconut rum and coconut extract.
- In a stand mixer, cream together sugar and butter until light and airy, about 4 minutes on medium speed.
- Alternately add dry and wet ingredients (starting and ending with dry) in three additions.
- Mix in coconut until fully combined. Be careful not to over-mix batter.
- Fill each prepared muffin tin ⅔ full with batter. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Leave in the pan to cool about 5 minutes before removing and cooling completely.
- 8 oz. cream cheese (not nonfat), room temperature
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp. coconut extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- To make the frosting, beat cream cheese and butter with a mixer until smooth, about 4 minutes.
- Add coconut extract and powdered sugar and beat to blend.
- Spread frosting on each cupcake and top with shredded coconut.
- Garnish each cupcake with seasonal candy of your choice.
Tip: Keep the cupcakes refrigerated until ready to serve.