Created by: Carrie Robinson, Frugal Foodie Mama
One of my resolutions for this new year is to try and cook with different and healthier foods more often. I have to admit that until I had whipped up this Creamy Mushroom and Lentil Soup, I had never cooked with lentils before. And now I am wondering why I waited so long to give these powerhouse legumes a go! Packed with fiber and protein, lentils are sure to keep you satisfied longer, keeping unnecessary snacking at bay and holding you over until dinnertime.
Even though this soup happens to be vegan (dairy-free) and vegetarian friendly, it is so hearty and flavorful that you won't miss the meat, folks. The meaty mushrooms, filling lentils and creamy cannellini beans make this soup comforting and satisfying without the extra fat and calories. Not to mention, you're getting extra fiber from the lentils and beans. If you haven't given lentils a go for yourself yet, I highly recommend starting with this easy-to-make soup. I promise you will not be disappointed.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 8 oz. Simple Truth Organic® Whole Baby Bella Mushrooms, rinsed and sliced
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground pepper
- ¾ tsp. dried tarragon
- 1 carton (32 oz.) Simple Truth Organic® Vegetable Broth
- 1 cup Simple Truth Organic® green lentils, rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz.) Simple Truth Organic® cannellini beans, pureed with liquids from can
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large pot or Dutch oven. Once heated, add in the garlic and onion. Sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add in the sliced mushrooms and sauté another 5-7 minutes.
- Season the mushrooms, onion and garlic with the salt, pepper and tarragon, and sauté for another minute. Pour in the vegetable broth, pureed cannellini beans and lentils. Bring to a boil. Cover, and then turn down the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Ladle into bowls, serve and enjoy!