Created by: Julia Mueller, The Roasted Root
These sweet potato hearts fit the bill exactly. Sprinkle them with sea salt and pepper, or even drizzle them with melted butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon and brown sugar for the ultimate treat. Serve these beauties alongside your favorite Valentine’s Day entrée for a vibrant and nutritious meal.
- 1 large sweet potato
- Sea salt and pepper
- Place the sweet potato in a wide-mouth saucepan and fill with water so the potato is submerged.
- Cover and place on the stovetop over high heat. Bring to a full boil. Remove the lid, reduce the heat to medium-high and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until sweet potato is tender when poked with a fork.
- Remove from heat, drain the water, transfer the sweet potato to a cutting board and allow it to cool.
- Once cool enough to handle, slice the sweet potato into ¼-inch rounds. Use a sharp paring knife or a small heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut hearts out of the sweet potato rounds (Note: save potato scraps for future use).
- Salt and pepper the sweet potato hearts to taste, then serve alongside your favorite entrée. Save leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
It’s best to use a sweet potato that is long and narrow versus wide.