Created by: Laura Franklin, Food Fun Family
Enjoy this exciting and tasty twist on a family-friendly classic during National Family Meal Month!
- 16 oz. package of dried elbow macaroni
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. dry mustard
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2½ cups milk
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese, cubed or grated
- 1 cup Colby Jack cheese, cubed or grated
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers, stems and seeds removed, and diced
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) creamed corn
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain and rinse with cool water. Pour cooked macaroni into large casserole dish. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add salt, pepper, mustard and flour. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly stir in milk, and whisk sauce for 5-7 minutes, until sauce thickens.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in 2 cups of cheese, diced jalapeno pepper, and creamed corn. Stir until cheese has melted.
- Pour sauce over macaroni and stir. Sprinkle additional cheese on top.
- Bake at 350°F, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes.
You can adjust the amount of jalapeno depending on your tolerance for spice. One jalapeno will add some good flavor. Two jalapenos will heat up family dinnertime!