Enlist help from eager kids when it’s time to add the thumbprint to these lemony thumbprint cookies.
Cook time: 8-10 min | Prep time: (X) min | Serves: (X) | Yields: (X)
- 1 2/3 cups All Purpose or Unbleached Flour
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup margarine or butter, softened
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 to 3 tsp. grated lemon peel
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. margarine or butter
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar or coconut
- Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. In medium bowl, combine all dough ingredients; blend well. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate 30 minutes for easier handling.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. With thumb, make imprint in center of each cookie.
- Bake at 350°F. for 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheets. Cool completely.
- In medium saucepan, combine all filling ingredients except powdered sugar. Cook over low heat until smooth and thickened, stirring constantly. Cool filling slightly. Spoon 1/4 tsp. filling into center of each cooled cookie; decorate as desired.