Decedent devil’s food meets dulce de leche when you opt to cover this Mexican chocolate cake with the suggested caramelized sugar frosting.
Cook time: X min | Prep time: X min | Serves: X | Yields: X
- 1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® devil's food cake mix
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
Caramelized Sugar Frosting
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 4 to 5 Tbsp. milk
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Grease or spray bottom only of 13x9-inch pan. Make cake mix as directed on box--except add cinnamon to cake mix. Pour into pan.
- Bake as directed on box for 13x9-inch pan. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- In 2-quart heavy saucepan, heat granulated sugar over medium-low heat 6 to 8 minutes, stirring constantly with wooden spoon and watching carefully, until sugar begins to melt. As sugar begins to melt, stir with wooden spoon until sugar is melted and golden brown. (Sugar becomes very hot and could melt a plastic spoon.) Remove from heat; carefully stir in butter and 1 Tbsp. of the milk (mixture will become lumpy). Return to medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth. Cool 5 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar to caramel mixture; beat with electric mixer on low speed until well combined. Add 3 Tbsp. milk, mixing until frosting is glossy and spreadable. If necessary, add up to 1 Tbsp. more milk, 1 tsp. at a time. Spread frosting over cake. Store loosely covered