Tender cakes full of fresh apples, topped with buttery streusel and salted butterscotch will satisfy any sweet tooth.
Hands-on Time: 30 min. | Total Time: 1 hr. | Serves: 12 | Difficulty: Easy
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup packed Kroger® Brown Sugar
- ¾ cup plus 5 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. fine salt
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 large granny smith apple, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- Heat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour 12 muffin cups and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together ¾ cup flour, ½ cup brown sugar and 5 tablespoons softened butter until coarse crumbles form; set aside.
- In a bowl whisk together 1½ cup flour, baking powder, nutmeg and fine salt; set aside.
- Using a hand mixer beat together ½ cup softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until well combined. Add dry ingredients to the butter mixture. Beat on low to combine. Add milk, beating until smooth. Fold in apple pieces to create a thick batter.
- Divide mixture evenly between prepared muffin cups. Top each with streusel.
- Bake 18-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cakes in pan for 5 minutes before removing to a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, melt ¼ cup butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add ½ cup brown sugar and cream. Bring to a low boil and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Cakes can be served slightly warm or at room temperature, topped with butterscotch sauce.
- Store leftover cakes covered, at room temperature. Store leftover butterscotch sauce in a covered container in the refrigerator.
Per serving: Calories 370, Calories from Fat 180, Total Fat 21g (32% DV), Saturated Fat 13g (65% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 75mg (25% DV), Sodium 290mg (12% DV), Carbohydrates 45g (15% DV), Dietary Fiber < 1g (4% DV), Sugars 28g, Protein 3g, Vitamin A 15%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 8%, Iron 6%.