Created by: Nicole Leggio, Cooking for Keeps
The classic combination of steak, sautéed green peppers and onions with melted provolone cheese in an adorable little slider.
20 minutes | Prep time: 20 minutes | Serves: 6
- 1 lb. sirloin steak
- 6 slider buns
- 3 tsp. canola oil, divided
- 1 large green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup beef broth
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 1 cup hot milk
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ lb. provolone cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Pop the steaks in the freezer for 15 minutes or until they're partially frozen.
- Cut the slider buns in half. Place them face down on a large baking sheet. Cook for 4-5 minutes until they're toasted and golden brown.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet to medium-high heat while the steaks chill. Add 1 teaspoon canola oil. Add the peppers and onions and season with plenty of salt and pepper. Cook until the vegetables are slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Use a very sharp knife to thinly cut the meat, then chop it. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Using the same pan you cooked the veggies in, adjust the burner to medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add oil. Swirl the pan to coat and add the chopped beef. Cook until the beef is seared a golden brown and cooked through, about 4-5 minutes. Add the beef broth last and turn the heat off.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk, salt and garlic powder. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer until thickened, about 3-4 minutes. Turn the heat off when it's thickened and slowly stir in the shredded provolone cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pile the meat on slider buns, top with the veggies and spoon the sauce over.