Created by: Greggy Soriano, Greggy’s Digest
Want a super yummy appetizer that reminds you of a Reuben from your favorite diner or delicatessen? These ooey-gooey, flaky and cheesy empanadas are a fun way to enjoy your favorite sandwich!
15 minutes | Prep time: 10 minutes | Serves: 6
- 1 package (12 oz.) Kroger Flaky Jumbo Crescent Rolls
- ¼ lb. Kroger Deli corned beef
- Kroger Shredded Sauerkraut
- 2 Tbsp. ketchup
- ¼ cup Kroger Sweet Relish
- 1 cup Kroger Mayonnaise
- 1 package (8 oz.) Private Selection™ Swiss Cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 yolk, for egg wash
- Kroger All-Purpose Flour
- Sprinkle or dust the table with flour to keep dough from sticking. Open and roll out crescent rolls on the floured surface into one whole sheet. Try your best to pinch and close the seams together to keep it whole.
- Use a glass, a biscuit cutter or a round cookie cutter to cut out circles of dough.
- Tear and layer pieces of corned beef on the bottom half of each circle of dough. Don't overstuff.
- Tear the Swiss cheese into pieces and layer it on top of corned beef. Don't overstuff.
- Place a generous pinch of sauerkraut on top of the Swiss cheese.
- Fold the top half of the circle to meet the bottom half of the dough.
- Crimp the edges with a fork. You can use water or egg wash to stick the edges together, but it’s not necessary with Kroger crescent dough.
- Brush egg yolk wash on top of the empanadas. Using only the yolk gives them a beautiful golden shine and a brown color.
- Bake in the oven at 350˚ F for 12-15 minutes until golden brown. When the bottoms are golden brown and toasted, the empanadas are done.
- To make Russian Dressing Dipping Sauce, mix the ketchup, sweet relish and mayonnaise together with salt and pepper to taste. Serve in a small condiment bowl next to your empanadas and enjoy!