Fresh salsas are a staple of any Mexican menu. Use a volcanic rock molcajete or a mortar and pestle to grind the ingredients and fully combine the flavors.
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 pinch of cumin seeds
- 1 pinch of black pepper corns
- 1 - 4 serrano or jalapeño chiles to taste
- 2 Roma or Saladette tomatoes
- ¼ cup of Mexican beer
- 1 tsp. of apple cider vinegar
- Roast the chiles, onion, garlic and tomatoes on a hot comal or griddle.
- Peel the chiles and the tomatoes.
- After roasting the garlic, chiles, onions and tomatoes, crush all of ingredients one by one in a molcajete or lava rock mortar and pestle, starting with the spices and the garlic until all of the solid ingredients are in the molcajete.
- Mix in the beer and cider. Serve with chips or use as a topping.