Created by: Cathy Pollack, Noble Pig
Winter weather keeps me hunkered down in the house. The daylight is short-lived, but nonetheless I am busy as always. By the time daily activities are winding down and it's time to get dinner on the table, I am often looking for a quick and easy meal solution – especially one that will not keep me at the sink washing dishes after we have finished eating. Just knowing I won't have to scrub loads of pots and pans brightens my mood at dinner. And it also means I will be in my pajamas sooner than I expected!
Just like your family, mine loves pizza. I know if I take those flavors and incorporate them into a pasta dish, the husband and kids will gobble it down without any complaints. A meal like this also works great when sports practices and other events are scheduled in the evening. I have even scooped portions of this pasta dish into handy to-go containers, and the kids have eaten it on the run.
Comfort food is key during the winter months, especially when it can be made as simply as this dish. I have a feeling you are going to serve this pasta many times this season. Enjoy!
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 1¾ cups (about 6 oz.) fully-cooked Italian sausage (diced or crumbled)
- 1 cup mini pepperoni, plus more for topping
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) petite-cut diced tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups Private Selection™ Penne Pasta
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 cup finely shredded mozzarella cheese
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- In a 12” skillet over medium heat, sauté onion in oil until softened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add sausage, browning the edges (I use fully-cooked sausage).
- Add pepperoni, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, pasta, chicken broth and Italian seasoning.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Top with cheese and extra pepperoni. Place the lid over the skillet until the cheese melts.
- Sprinkle with red pepper flakes. Serve immediately.