Chunks of tender beef and beans add hearty flavor to this quick and spicy tomato-based chili.
4 hours | Prep time: 30 min | Serves: 8 | Yields: 8 cups
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cans diced tomatoes, 14.5 ounces onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 can tomato paste, 6 ounces
- 1 package chili seasoning mix, 1.25 ounces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 drops tabasco sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 smoked sausage rope, turkey, chicken or beef, cooked and sliced 1/2" thick
- 1 can dark kidney beans, 15 ounces, drained
- 1 can chili beans, 15 ounces, with sauce
- Cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Transfer into a slow cooker. Add tomatoes, onion, sugar, tomato paste, chili seasoning, garlic, tabasco, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on Low for 4 hours, or High for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- 30 minutes before cook time is complete add smoked sausage, kidney beans and chili beans. Stir and continue cooking.
- Serve with your choice of toppings, including hot sauce, shredded cheese, jalapenos, sour cream and green onions.