Created by: Julia Mueller, The Roasted Root
Eggnog is an incredibly flavorful and delicious beverage to share with friends and family around the holidays, but it’s rich in fat and sugar (no wonder it tastes so great)! While my family has been making the authentic version of eggnog ever since I was a small child, I began making a healthier version of the classic drink 3 years ago and have never gone back.
This recipe can easily be adapted to fit your own personal taste. Some folks enjoy their ‘nog super sweet or with a lot of nutmeg, while others could do with less. In order to tailor the beverage to your palate, start with fewer dates, less nutmeg or less alcohol - you can always add more! I tend to like my eggnog heavy on the rum and light on the nutmeg. Get crafty with your cocktails and be sure to share!
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked and drained
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 can (14 oz.) Simple Truth™ Full-Fat Coconut Milk
- 6-8 large Medjool dates, pitted
- ¾ tsp. Private Selection™ Ground Nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon, optional
- Pinch sea salt
- 3 Tbsp. spiced rum, optional
- 1 Tbsp. Kahlua, optional
- Place cashews in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Soak at least 30 minutes, or up to 8 hours. Drain the water and place the cashews in a high-powered blender, along with 2 cups of new cold water, and blend on high for 2-3 minutes or until mixture is completely smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients for the eggnog and blend until smooth. Taste eggnog for flavor, and add more rum, Kahlua, nutmeg, dates or pure maple syrup to taste.
- Serve chilled and enjoy. Refrigerate leftovers in a sealed jar for up to 5 days.