Created by: Hannah Hagler, Champagne Lifestyle
One of the hardest things about being vegan or lactose intolerant is missing out on delicious desserts when you eat out or you're at a party. Every year on Valentine’s Day, my boyfriend and I stay home and cook together in our pajamas, but we usually don’t make a dessert.
This year, I thought it would be fun to put together an ice cream sundae bar so we can each make our own creations.
Instead of buying hot fudge and caramel, I decided to make my own – and the result is to die for. Both recipes are super easy to make with only a few ingredients, and they are dairy-free.
After you make the hot fudge and caramel, pour it over your favorite vegan ice cream; I used cashew ice cream in a vanilla bean flavor. (Note: Vegan ice cream does not have the exact same consistency as regular ice cream, but in my opinion, it tastes just as great!) I also put out some small bowls with fun assorted toppings, so we could each get creative and make our own hot fudge sundae!
- 1 can (13.5 oz.) full-fat coconut milk
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp. vegan butter
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 can (13.5 oz.) coconut milk
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- Small pinch sea salt
- Hot Fudge: In a blender, blend the coconut milk, coconut sugar and cocoa powder until smooth (helps ensure the sauce will not be lumpy).
- Caramel (optional): Blend coconut milk, coconut sugar and maple syrup.
- Pour each mixture separately into a small saucepan and bring it to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Whisk in the coconut oil/vegan butter and vanilla.
- Allow the sauces to cool for 20 minutes. A thin film will naturally form over the top of the fudge sauce, which is perfectly normal. Simply give the fudge/caramel sauce a good whisk before pouring it into an airtight glass container. The sauce will continue to thicken while it cools.
- Store the fudge in the refrigerator; it can be served cold or hot. Consume within 4-6 days.