This hearty, kid-friendly soup is a delicious cold weather comfort food.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¾ lb. beef stew meat, cut into chunks
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and cut into ½" chunks
- 4 cups beef broth
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 1 tsp. oregano
- ½ cup pearl barley
- Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven. Add garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds. Add stew meat, salt and pepper. Brown for about 3 minutes. Add onions, carrots, celery, green pepper and potatoes. Cook until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, tomato juice and oregano. Stir well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and add barley. Simmer for 1 hour. Serve.