Hazelnuts and mushrooms make this stuffing a Northwest classic. It’s perfect for a vegetarian meal or alongside a roast or turkey.
Cook Time: (X) min | Prep time: (X) min | Serves: (X) | Yields: (X)
- 1 loaf bread, whole wheat or sourdough, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 2 leeks, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup shallots, chopped
- 3/4 pound Crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 pound Portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 pound mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh sage, chopped
- sea salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth, heated
Directions:View Party Plan: A Very Merry Vegetarian Holiday
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Place bread cubes on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake about 15 minutes, until just beginning to brown. Spread hazelnuts in a single layer on another baking sheet; toast until lightly browned, about 8-10 minutes.
- Melt butter in a large pan and add leeks, shallots and mushrooms.
- Sauté until tender,about 15 minutes.
- Place in a large bowl; add toasted bread, celery, nuts, parsley,thyme, sage, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Beat egg and stir in.
- Add heated broth and steep, tightly covered, for 10 minutes.
- Transfer stuffing to a buttered casserole dish. Cover and bake in preheated oven about 1 hour.
- Uncover and bake until top is crisp, about 15 minutes.